Why do I do this ?

Every new discovery represents a starting point for me. They give me new perspectives and I feel different about my surroundings and the people I meet. The present and all its mysteries is the most important time for me; the only time I can actually feel, change and capture.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Let's see...

At night, the tiny streets of Manju ka Tilla have a distinctive sound produced by a monk who hits a wooden plate (I'm not sure, but is something wooden) to chase the evil spirits. I say it works, because the sleep is as deep as it can be on the hard, but comfortable (I'm not kidding) beds.
In the morning, the small neighbourhood comes to live in a quiet fashion, a pleasant way to start your day.
We decided last night that today we would visit the Red Fort, an imposing construction in the old city center, with vast gardens and majestic eagles circling the walls and the towers.
After a 2h breakfast (the food was yet again delicious), we went again on our way to the subway station with a rickshaw. During daytime, the traffic changes, we stop at the red lights and we get a taste of first-hand horns straight to our ears.
Today's trip on the subway confirmed us the fact that the fare is different when you go shorter distances (10 Rs instead of 13 Rs yesterday) and that the trains are produced by the same company that provides the modern trains for the Bucharest underground. It looked familiar yesterday and now I got the confirmation.
The city center is very crowded as well, it couldn't be any other way, and the Bank of India (where we decided to exchange some currency) loves very long processes... You fill in a small form at one desk, where you also leave the money, you get a bill and with that you go to another desk to collect the Indian Rupees. A much too ellaborate process for something so simple, but that's the reason for the bank to charge you an extra dollar for the conversion. Let it be...
The Fort is huge. It kinda reminds me of the old war movies and makes me wonder what a seige would look like. Epic, I'm sure...

Vast gardens, parrots and eagles, pigeons and squirrels and incredible constructions await the visitor behind the great red walls. The stone decorations are meticulously made and make you wonder how much work was put into realising them. Hundreds of thousands of hours of work, no doubt about it.
There are a lot of things inside the walls and time flies faster than you can imagine.

Outside the fort, the old city is as colourful as it can get, with flea markets and street vendors everywhere.

A long walk through it confirms me the fact that if you can't get accustomed to India, you'll lose your apetite forever.
We found the subway station in the middle of nowhere, and the transition from the old city center to the underground system is kinda shocking.
Back home, at our usual restaurant, the food was this time very hot... not hot, very hot. Don't know the reason. Maybe the cook decided to give us a better taste of India. We decided to change it tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
At 22 o'clock everything closes around here, so the only night-option is HBO or WB in our hotel room... I fell asleep with the notebook on my lap whilst watching the end of Sherlock Holmes (2009). The fatigue has not yet disappeared...

No comments:

Post a Comment